On-the-Job Training (OJT)
On-the-Job Training (OJT) is a federally-funded program that helps employers hire and train job seekers for long-term employment. It is an opportunity for you as an employer to hire individuals who you would not otherwise hire because they lack some necessary skills required to succeed. It is one of the best training methods because it is planned, organized and conducted by you at your workplace. It's an 'earn as you learn' model that's great for new employees.
Allied Storage Technologies, INc., was in the planning phase to hire additional technicians in the 4th quarter to coincide with the move to our newly expanded headquarters. The challenge that we faced was being able to find qualified candidates that had industry experience in order to minimize training time and stay within projected budgets... I had the opportunity to meet with Linda Johnson, Business Specialist at Pikes Peak Workforce Center (PPWFC), who introduced ASTI to the OJT program. The OJT program helped us make the decision to hire sooner than planned. The OJT program gave ASTI the opportunity to hire someone and invest the time to train them well and get them integrated into our company without exceeding our budget which was extremely beneficial.
ASTI could not be happier with our hiring decision. I have and will continue to recommend the program to other employers. Paperwork and filling out forms can be a daunting task but, Linda and the PPWFC staff made it so easy by screening the applicants and helping with the forms. This is a great example of government and private industry working together to put people to work, expand businesses and support our local economy. This is the way things should work. Donna Evans, Human Resources Manager
OJT provides reimbursements to employers to help compensate for the costs associated with skills upgrade training and loss of production for newly hired employees. OJT can assist employers who are looking to expand their businesses and who need additional staff trained with specialized skills. An OJT is tailored to your job description and the needs of your company.
OJT funds are available to offset up to 90%* of OJT employee wages for up to six months, depending on number of local employees, minimizing your financial risk and direct training costS
- OJT Participants are pre-screened by PPWFC career consultants, using your job description and selection criteria, resulting in a productive pool of qualified applicants that may limit your candidate screening time.
- PPWFC will utilize the ProveIt® skills assessment tool based on your requirements to identify candidates with the knowledge, skills and abilities that will maximize potential for placement of a productive employee.
- The OJT program is tailored to your specific job description and your specific human resource requirements resulting in a smooth training experience.
- Once the OJT candidate is selected, you, along with your PPWFC Business Specialist, will develop the custom training plan to meet your specific requirements.
- The OJT “learn as you earn” training model is a great program for you to provide a low-risk, employment opportunity to a well-matched, eager, and willing-to-learn job seeker
What are the company’s responsibilities?
1. Participate in OJT employee training plan development and monthly training plan evaluations with your Business Specialist.
2. Submit a Monthly OJT Training Invoice to PPWFC for wage reimbursement.
3. Retention of the OJT employee after the training period.
Who selects the OJT candidate?
You select the OJT employee from a pool of qualified candidates. Candidates must be unemployed at least 19 weeks to be eligible for this OJT grant.
What can I do if I have complications with an OJT employee?
The employee is classified as your “at-will” employee and can be terminated at your discretion.
How is the training length determined?
Training length is limited to the amount of time required for the OJT employee to become proficient in the occupation. Your Business Specialist will work with you to help determine your specific OJT training plan.
How will I receive OJT payments?
Payments will be disbursed within 30 days upon receipt of your Monthly OJT Training Invoice Record to PPWFC.
For more information, contact james Proby, Team lead for the Busienss Relations Group at, Pikes Peak Workforce Center (PPWFC) 1675 Garden of the Gods Rd, Suite 1107 Colorado Springs, CO 80907 P: 719-667-3743 or firstname.lastname@example.org